Founding of the Institute
In June 1958 the Research Divisions of Catalytic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry and Lubricating Materials of the Institute of Petroleum, Chinese Academy of Sciences, moved to Lanzhou and they together formed the Lanzhou Branch of the Institute of Petroleum, CAS.
In June 1962, it was renamed the Lanzhou Institute of Chemical Physics, CAS, with the approval of the CAS and National Committee on Science and Technology (current The Ministry of Science and Technology of the People’s Republic of China).
In July 1970, it changed its name as Gansu Institute of Chemical Physics, CAS.
In August 1973, it resumed its former name-Lanzhou Institute of Chemical Physics, CAS, by which the Institute was known up till now.
Period of Great Development
The time between 1986 and 2000 was the period of great development of the Institute with the implementation of various policies in the reform of national S&T system. Besides, the Institute has carried out the director responsibility system and made a big advance while exploring new ways for development.
The 21st Century (Period of Knowledge Innovation)
From 2001 till now, LICP has practiced the Knowledge Innovation Program.
In April 2001, it entered into the second stage of Pilot Project of Knowledge Innovation Program.
In January 2006, entering into the third stage of Knowledge Innovation Program, the Institute specified the goals and strategic orientation of innovation and comprehensively pushed forward the innovation in both science and administration.